With the summer already having set in heavily in Chennai (and most other parts of India), I think we need to take a re-look at the various ways in which we can beat the heat. That way, we can learn the best practices from each other. I will mention the things I do and I am aware of (to reduce the effect of the summer heat), and you people can contribute more in the comments section.
I am concerned about two things during summer – Reducing body heat and reducing the effect of external heat (cooling ourselves). The following points might help in either of the two.
- Drinking tender coconut water (Elanir)
- Drinking pomegranate juice (Madhulai) and lime juice
- Eating water melon and nungu
- Eating curd-rice and drinking butter milk
- Applying oil over head (I really like the new Parachute Advansed Cooling oil – try it, its too good) twice, on normal days
- Taking oil-bath during week ends (sometimes twice in a week)
- Buying an inverter (to keep the fan running during power cuts)
- Pour some water on the terrace during evenings/sleep in the terrace
- Avoiding Tea/coffee and anything hot (hot in temperature, hot in taste)
- Avoiding mangoes, cane-juice, jack fruit
Ok, these are what I can think of, right now. Kindly give your suggestions in the comments section.