Movie Reviews

Vicky Donor (’12) Bollywood Movie Review

Vicky Donor is a Hindi/Bollywood movie released in 2012 starring Ayushman Khurrana, Yami Gautam & Annu Kapoor. It is directed by Shoojit Sircar. I did find this movie interesting until slightly after the marriage of the lead characters. After that, I wished that the movie would just end! This film would have been much better as a full-length comedy movie.

It starts as a comedy movie and you can’t help but laugh at many hilarious scenes, presented initially. After the marriage of the lead characters, two things make it boring – artificial ‘anger’ of the heroine and propaganda. This is the second ‘hit’ movie made by Shoojit Sircar I am watching, and I don’t understand why he wants to rely on propaganda so much.

If there is a message to be conveyed, convey it on a sublime level and give importance to the story. Why give propaganda, the same status as the main characters? This movie feels as if it was produced by some association of infertility clinics or something (though I guess it is not) – It just feels that way.

The movie starts wonderfully – the scenes where the hero is followed by Annu Kapoor to convince him to donate sperm, the reactions of people when he says that he is a sperm donor, the Punjabi-Bong marriage – all these situations are funny and move quickly. These scenes are a pleasure to watch.

But once the MCs get married, the fake ‘anger’ of the heroine is so bland that the viewers are confused if/why she is angry at all? Imagine – she is a divorcee, she cannot have kids, but all that is fine. The hero has to take it all sportively. But, she just cannot tolerate the fact that he concealed a vital from her, that he was a sperm donor!

At least if that anger was real and the heroine was firm enough/showed some appropriate emotions, it would have been slightly more believable. But the heroine is just not able to decide if she wants to be angry or not. This just makes all those crying scenes boring and unrealistic, for the viewers.

And then comes the propaganda and realization. Extremely artificial. But compared with those fake tears, this is slightly better.

70% – An excellent off-beat comedy movie. Remaining 30% – Boring.

Now, you know when to switch off. The first 70% of this movie makes it worthwhile to watch it – just skip the last 30% and you’ll retain some happy moments to cherish from the movie-watching experience.

If only it was full length comedy movie sans propaganda, this would have been THE MOVIE. Nice songs, BTW.

Destination Infinity


  • Praveen

    It was an entertaining movie. And being a product of Bollywood , you know that at some point that fake melodrama will enter the scene for sure. 😛

  • Sandhya Kumar

    I remembered only the funny part after watching the movie. Yes, it slightly slowed down after the marriage, though! But it was, the storyline which was attractive and funny! The heroine was beautiful! We have to see her in other movies to know her acting ability!

  • Avada Kedavra

    I did not watch this movie. I didn’t know it was about sperm donation. I used to assume it was blood or something looking at the title 😛 Melodrama is a big turnoff for me.

  • SG

    Thanks for the review. I will stay away from this movie. First 70% is good and skip the last 30%. This is true of most Tamil (Indian) movies. The director starts great and does not know how to end it. Therefore, drag on and on and on. In addition, the seriousness of the story is not felt because of the songs and the comedy scenes, that have nothing to do with the movie.

    I hate propaganda movies. Why should I go to the theater and pay lot of money to listen to your propaganda?

    • Rajesh K

      One good thing about this movie is, the comedy is ingrained into the main story-line. It’s not a separate track.

      Propaganda, even if used, should not feel like propaganda. They make better ads these days!

      Destination Infinity

  • Pratikshya Mishra

    i had liked the movie though, even if it was just for that 70 percent. yes, i agree with you that it couldn’t decide which genre it wanted to be placed in…but the comedy was good.

  • Shilpa Garg

    I enjoyed this movie. Hindi movies… well melodrama is a must, but it is still better and sensible and bearable than some of the recent movies I have seen. Nice review 🙂

    • Rajesh K

      I know this must be better than many other movies – I am watching certain selected and hand-picked movies only. Only, I felt this movie could have been much better. But maybe this is what urban populace wants?

      Destination Infinity

  • Rachna Chhabria

    Hi Rajesh, I agree with you that this movie was interesting until the lead characters got married. Then it became kind of predictable and boring. But, it was a different from the usual crappy comedies that are an assault on one’s senses.