Lilac Handmade and Organic soaps is an e-commerce venture floated by my friend and fellow blogger Rahul Agarwal. So when he offered to send me two soaps made by them for review on my blog, I agreed immediately.
You all know I am a fan of anything organic (doesn’t use chemicals) and healthy. In addition to that, these soaps are handmade. Some benefits of these soaps (as sent to me by Rahul) include:
- Our Handmade soaps contains glycerin which acts as a skin softener.
- We scent our soaps with essential oils, fragrance oils & natural herbs.
- We use:
– Coconut oil to create fluffy lather & Cocoa and Shea butter for its superior moisturizing abilities and Castor oil for creamy lather formation.
– Olive Oil which is rich in vitamins, minerals and fatty acids.
- We go the old way of making soaps as it was done thousands of years ago.
- We avoid adding any chemicals as used in the making of commercial soaps. Our handmade soaps do not contain any synthetic preservatives or artificial hardeners.
- Commercial soaps are produced in large amounts thus making them inexpensive. We make our handmade soaps in small batches to maintain the integrity of oils, fats & butters.
I used one of these soaps for more than a week and here are my observations:
- The soap was quite large, but that size maybe required as it dissolves faster than normal soaps. It lasted as long as any normal soap would, maybe slightly longer.
- Initially, my soap box had some water and some stuck on to the soap. But once I drained the water, the soap was fine – so make sure there is no water in the soap box you keep it in.
- Because of the larger size, it doesn’t fit into normal soap boxes, but that’s not a big deal as I kept it in a slanting position with a small bit outside the box.
- The feel of the soap on the skin is good, and we can feel the cleansing. The skin doesn’t feel dry, like ordinary soaps.
- The lather is not too less, not too much – just the right amount. So is the smell. Both good!
- The color is lively and the soap sorta encourages me to bathe better with more concentration.
- The only real minus point of this soap is the higher cost. But no harmful chemicals are used and each soap is handmade with care. Nowadays, I don’t mind paying a premium for organic stuff.
I would love to switch over to organic soaps but the higher cost is the only thing that is stopping me. I use Medimix, Hamam, and Margo, all of which are cheaper and within my budget. Once I start earning more, I will definitely switch.
I hope more people will consider starting a business in the organic/sustainable living space. I think it’s important if we want a better future.
PS: If you know any good product/service in the organic/sustainable-living domain, let me know. I’d love to use it and spread the word through my blog.