“Know Your Rights” is an information/discussion session organized by Arappor this Sunday – Apr. 30, 2017. This event is free of cost to attend for anyone – prior registration by filling up this online form is required.
Time: 3.30 P.M. to 7 P.M.
Place: Jyoti Indira Thirumana Mandapam, Ramasamy Street, Sri Devi Karumariamman Nagar, Valasarawakkam, Chennai – 87. (Behind Tanishq jewellery shop) (Google Maps link for location)
It seems Arappor organizes such sessions regularly. Refer to their Facebook page to know more about their activities and upcoming events.
In this event, the organizers are expected to share their knowledge on how members of the public can interact with Govt. officials and get things done more effectively without paying bribes, etc., among other topics.
Some sessions that you can expect at this event include,
- How to use RTI – Right to Information
- How to obtain driving license, etc. without paying bribes
- How to take up issues like bad roads, open drainage, etc. with officials and how to get it sorted
- How to safeguard our natural resources like water bodies
- What are our rights with Police and how to interact effectively with them
I will be going this weekend and will write a blog post covering the highlights of this event once I am back. Glad to support a good initiative through this blog. I believe that a little contribution from all of us will go a long way in improving our democracy.